Friday, May 22, 2015

Final Lessons in Nicaragua

Rebecca and I created a Volunteers book for all volunteers at CCA to write about their time and experience. Here is what I wrote in my pages:


During my time here at CCA I have served as the 3rd grade English teacher and also computer teacher for 3rd through 7th grades. I worked on an English curriculum for 3rd grade. For computers I also workd on a curriculum, set up a computer display, pushed to see a lap top be used in the computer lab, got the projector up and running, put in a white board, prayed relentlessly for new computers, and painted a colorful keyboard in the computer lab with Kristie Beavert. I was fortunate enough to be able to hand over my projects and ultimately class to a new Nicaraguan teacher--Mr. Giovanny. It is encouraging to see it all in his hands and to continue even after I leave CCA. The above are only the projects I performed at CCA. My experienced here however has been marked by so much more.

It has been really cool over the past 4 months to see how God had developed a passion for me to have a <3 for 3rd grade and for computer classes. The vision I had for computers was -- "Inspire through Technology." Technology is so important to the advancement of any country. But we here at CCA have the opportunity, through a Christian lens, to teach computers and t oshow these kids how technolgy can be fun, purposeful and honoring for Nicaragua and furthermore for Christ's kingdom. And through this vision I cam to recognize a greater thing. While God gave Barry and Susanna a vision for starting CCA, He gives all teachers and volunteers visions to better things within the school. What will be your vision?

The greatest thing I have learned while at CCA is the importance of relationships. For a good portion of my life I have been racing full force ahead, working hard in school and by this sacrificing relationships in order to accomplish my goals. But the funny thing is God works quit the opposite, we actually need others. We need the help of others, we need their affirmations, we need their accountability, we need their advice and wisdom, and we need their skills, we need their different personalities-- WE NEED ONE ANOTHER. We need one another, not only for ourselves, but for the glory and for the work of the LORD.

While in the In2House I got to live with many different cultures and also age groups--Koreans, Niccas, Brits, Americans from ages ranging from 19-75. One of the greatest experiences was when Auntie Joyce (beautifully and wonderfully aged), asked me (23) about any areas of her personality that need critique so she could strengthen her weaknesses.  I had been going to Auntie Joyce for advice and input many times, but her receptivity to my youthfulness amazed me. This experience was an example to show how that despite culture, age and background we are a body her to sharpen one another to become better in Christ.

I have come to find that we all hold something unique to share with our body, and if we don't embrace and reach out to
the talents and gifts of others then we as a whole won't go as far. We need to also be willing to be vulnerable with one another. Taking time to first build relationships should be the first and most important task before trying to accomplish any sustainable project here at CCA.

When you can learn to die to yourself for the benefit of your community, and ultimately for the will of the LORD, then there you will make a difference.

Picture of the colorful keyboard that Kristie and I had painted in the computer lab.


Class room set up after my time here. Now Giovany is able to use a projector, has a lap top to use, and the student's computers are as up to date as they can be ;)

2 comments: