Thursday, May 14, 2015

Adventure in the Classroom

Today in English class we went on an adventure! The lesson for this week was learning vocabulary of various natural locations including: Sea (el mar), Rainforest (la selva), Beach (la playa), Mountains (las montaƱas), Desert (el desierto), Tree (el arbol), River (el rio), Island (la isla), Land (la tierra), Junge (la jungla). I drew some of these various locations in chalk in the outdoor auditorium. Others like mountain, and desert there were places around the school property where the kids could pretend that they were at these locations.

When I told them we were going on an adventure yesterday they all grew big ears and gave me the most attention from them I have probably gotten thus far. I assigned each a location and asked them to bring one thing that they might need for their destination. So at the beginning of the class they all shared their item. Then we hopped aboard a ship...aka a parachute...to set sail to a new land! They were all about the pretending and so thrilled.

When we jumped off of the ship they all ran to find their destinations. I had given them a map and once they found their locations they were to write the names of them in English. It was all quite a blast. I showed up to class in a safari hat and sunglasses and they started beaming.

My motivation for this creative lesson was a few things. One, there is a boy named Matthew who wants to be an explorer when he grows up. So this was primarily dedicated to him. Today he brought binoculars and I had him wear my Go Pro on his head (he loved it!). Two, learning can and should be fun, I wanted to continue to show the kids and Ms. Mierdna that. Three, I love the outdoors, natural resources, and adventures so why not one in the classroom?!

I love that I am so free to be creative with my lessons and kids. It has made it all that much more fun. Tomorrow is my last day with them and we will have a fiesta!

No comments:

Post a Comment