Monday, April 20, 2015

ON BOARD and Reaching Paradise

Wednesday was our day! We got in line extra early to get in line for the same boat tickets to the Corn Islands. We were approximately 10th in line. However after 2 hours of selling tickets we still didn’t have tickets. Many people began cutting in line. Then people would come to the people cutting and tell them they would pay them in order to buy their family tickets. Lesson B) order is non-existent. Even the workers working for the boat were allowing the cutting to happen and not moving to change anything. This whole situation was extremely frustrating. We literally had to push to hold our place in line.

Somehow we got a ticket after about 200 people got tickets before us standing 10th in line. We apparently got one of the last tickets sold! Walking infront of the Immigration official with a boat ticket and my passport in hand felt so good! And then to finally get on the boat. Finally!

The boat ride was a trip in itself.  Kristie and I parked ourselves in the most available area: the front of the boat. I wish I could have the words to describe the people we met, the experience we had while on the boat. It was loud, full of culture, full of fun interaction, and free on the sea. The joy of it all didn’t last too long for me though. Once we started out on the rougher Caribbean waves, my stomach couldn’t handle it. I began my sequential vomit for 6 hours :( I had just finished eating a new fruit popular in Nicaragua called Aguacote. This fruit ended up all over my T-shirt, life vest, pants, sandals and the side of the boat! LOL. It was so disgusting!  I can’t remember the last time I had been so sick in my life. I remember hurling over the side of the boat looking down at the beautiful blue ocean and thinking, “I would rather be home RIGHT now.” I found somewhat comfortable sleeping position on the bottom of the front deck floor. This let me rest and gave me a good position to throw myself over at any moment. To make things brighter the whole front of the deck was getting splashed. I was soaking wet, in vomit, sleeping on the floor.  It is hilarious writing about it now because I can only laugh hysterically. Then not so much!

Kristie was such a kind friend to remember to take a picture of me in my misery.

Out at sea!
When I woke up near the shore everyone was taking pictures with Kristie. Apparently this girl was having a ball loving the waves and engaging with others. It was such a hilarious contrast to me being so sick. I’m glad no one wanted pictures with me at that moment!

Our first goal when getting off that boat was for me to take a shower! We cleaned up in our hostel, then headed to the hotel that Auntie Joyce and Rebecca had been staying at, Paraiso Hotel. There Rebecca and Auntie Joyce bought me a birthday dinner. It was really nice getting to spend some time with them considering our time was shortened because of a change of events. Dearest Kristie…That girl stood up in front of the whole restaurant and announced it was my birthday and asked everyone to sing happy birthday to me. She really went out for it and I was happy that such a great friend would do that for me.

The next morning, Thursday, we had breakfast with Auntie Joyce and Rebecca before they left back home from the Island by plane. Kristie and I would move on to the Little Corn Island. It was only a 45 min boat ride from the Big Corn to the Little Corn. We had arranged a hostel to stay at called Ensuenos. This hostel was on East side of the Island, farther away from the small village near the boat dock we go off at. Since there are no cars present on the island, it would take us a 20 min walk to our hostel. 

Breakfast with these ladies on the Big Corn Island, just before we headed to the Little Corn Island.
I love my Auntie Joyce!
We traveled to the other side of Nicaragua to see its greater beauty, to the Big Corn Island to see a glimpse of paradise, to the Little Corn to see a greater paradise and to the more secluded East side of the Island to see the best of the best of the Island. Our destination was worth the journey and was truly paradise!

Yet, another boat to the Little Corn Island.
Hike to the eastern side of Little Corn Island.
Almost there...paradise in sight!

A jelly-fish we found on our walk around the island.

The first thing we did when we got there was to put on our snorkels and get in that water! I then wanted to walk around the whole entire island so we began that trek as well. We found so many treasures, and our trek confirmed that our hostel location was indeed on the best part of the island.

Finally in paradise. Am I dreaming?

Two happy girls in their Caribbean ocean!
Alas!

Here is the bungalo beach house we stayed in. It was at a place called Ensuenos located right on the beach.
The view from our window was impeccable.
Not going to lie the room seemed like a honey moon suit. lol!
It was nice to have lots of space after all of that traveling.


Ensuenos!

No comments:

Post a Comment