Saturday, February 7, 2015

"There is nothing worse than not having the right set of tools"


This is something I ALWAYS would hear from my Papa and my dad. Both Mr. Fix-Its, continuously working on some type of house, car, yard, or work project, tools helped them get the job done!  Beyond the basic screwdriver, hammer, and nails they were sure to have the “right” tools.  Air compressor, weed eater, automatic nail gun, tire wrenches, table saw, welder, any tool, you name it, they had it! Not to mention they could do ANY job with those tools as well.

To some a dismay, my reluctance to pink clothes and Barbie dolls only drew me into, perhaps the handier side of things.  Though no expert, I have found myself interested and able to use some of these tools. With all of the praise to my dad who taught me, I have found myself rotating tires, cleaning a carburetor, changing oil, and doing maintenance on a rainwater catch system. Thanks dad! Far beyond the luxury of fine automatic tools, into the land of “developing,” finding the right tools in Nicaragua can be a pain. "There is nothing worse than not having the right set of tools."

Yesterday, as I sought to make some utensils for a team building activity, I needed a basic hammer and pliers. I was sent to the bodega—the closet.  Disorganized, this closet is filled with random utensils and donations, in desperate need of being organized by someone with fine Tetris skills. Light bulbs, toilet paper, donated sandals, pillows, pvc pipe elbows, door knobs, screws, etc.….it was obvious that I wouldn’t find the tools I needed here. I looked over all the shelves, in every drawer, still no hammer. Then after several moments passed, lo and behold, THE TOOL BOX! In here was the hammer and pliers I was looking for!

After my success, I began to think about what had just happened. Had the tools been readily available to me, in my sight, I could have used them. But they were instead hiding in the furthest corner, far away from the light.  This made me think of how it must be frustrating for God to use His own tools. We are God’s workmanship (his tools), though made by Him, we do not always stand available to be used by Him. Sometimes we instead hide far far away in order to not be used. Occasionally we allow God to use us in ways that we feel comfortable with, but then for another uncomfortable use, we hide, back into the toolbox in the dark corner. How hard it must be for God to complete His will, His work, if His tools are not willing to be available to Him. Are we making ourselves available to God to be used? Are we willing to be used? To do anything?

In Nicaragua we have a phrase here we like to repeat. “Dos por Uno.” Two for one. Because tools and resources are limited, the more use we get out of them the better! In the same way I think the Lord desires for us to be willing to be used in ANY and MANY ways that he sees fit. The Lord knows the best ways you can be used; after all He designed you.

Here in Nicaragua I have the job as team building facilitator, 3rd grade English teacher, computer teacher, and I have been told that these may and will change. Teaching is not anything I would have thought myself to be doing, let alone teaching in another language! My educational background has centered my skills on creating things like hydrogeological models, or environmental management plans. But THIS is where God has me working now.  Nervous? Yes. How is this going to work out? I have no idea. Willing? Absolutely! Dos, tres, quarto, y mas por uno. I am His workmanship, and I am willing to serve in whatever and however many ways He sees fit.


“For we are God’s workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.”  Ephesians 2:10

No comments:

Post a Comment