Thursday, January 22, 2015

Nicaragua: Day 1

What a wild day it has been today! First off, I made it to Nicaragua safely. So praise the Lord! I had no glitches in my flight and I thankfully had not trouble with my bags :)

Just as I got settled onto the plane I started to think about the possibilities of me all by myself in the Managua airport. About 30 seconds of diving into dangerous possibilities a man named Charlie Brown waved his hand in between the seats to grab my attention. He very enthusiastically asked, " What are you headed to Managua for?" Him and his two friends Ray and Nick, are missionaries in Leon. They work for a mission organization named Voice of Hope based out of Leon in Nicaragua. These men and their families have been in the ministry for several years. I got to share with them that I would be teaching at a Christian School. Charlie Brown's follow up question was, so tell us your testimony. In all my years of frequent flying miles, never have I ever been openly asked to share my testimony on a plane. In summary it was great to share ministry ideas, passions and our common heart to share the gospel. Furthermore, I know that the Lord provided these brothers in Christ to make me feel for secure and safe until I met with Barry at the airport for pick up.

After getting off of the plane Barry took me to get some grub at Rosti Pollos. Barry said any time he is in the city he takes advantage of buying the good food. He said he would rather pay good money for good food than have to pay a doctor bill. Ha!

Next, [this is my favorite part of today] Barry took me to the Living Water International office near Managua. We walked in not knowing anyone there. I have told Barry my passion for water related ministry and he thought he remembered where the office was located, so I walked right in. In so doing I met Guierrmo Zepeda a site coordinator for the missions teams that come to Nicaragua to help build wells and run hygiene programs primarily in rural more poor regions in Nicaragua. After he briefly shared about their newest project I got to briefly share, again today, about my passion for water, my educational background and how I would love for an opportunity to work and see how they do their mission on the grounds. We exchanged contact info and him and his team agreed they were sure they could work something out. It was so neat because he knew the people from Living Water International from their headquarters in Houston, TX that I have been in contact with over the past week. We seemed to just be connecting the dots. I didn't expect to make a connection with this organization here in Nicaragua so early in the game! I told Barry of how excited I was to make that connection early in the game; how that if I was a dog, my tail would be wagging so hard that all of my grandmother's dishes on her coffee table would be wiped off completely! :D

We arrived to the school in Dolores, a town about 45 min outside of Managua around 4pm today. I was welcomed by Susana (Barry's wife) two Korean volunteers and the Nicaraguan house maid. In due time I will share their names, as I unfortunately have already forgotten :/ I am now working at winding down and putting my things away in my bedroom. This room will be for Kristi Beavert (my great friend from Oregon who will be coming in two more weeks) and myself to share during our time here until mid May.

As for now, it is time for me to wind down, unpack, learn some names and get settled in. Check in tomorrow to see some pics!

No comments:

Post a Comment