Thursday, March 19, 2015

Pan de Vida and Francela

Instead of telling you what all happened at the Sunday morning church service at Pan de Vida, I would like to share with you what the Lord shared to me during my time there.  I wrote this in my journal during some of the service:

Kristie and I in front of Iglesia Pan de Vida.
What an experience to go to Iglesia Pan de Vida (Bread of Life Church). I am sitting right now in a plastic chair, on concrete, with an open roof, and by the way there is a stray dog roaming around. This church is NOT the building; it IS the people. Here are things that the Lord is speaking to me during my experience right now
  • We in America expect to be entertained during worship. There are no instruments, projector, soundboards, or microphones here. BUT THERE IS WORSHIP. There is joyful worship here. Don’t be expecting when worshipping. Instead OFFER your worship. Be reminded also that you can worship God in all circumstances, in any place, and without music.
  • There is a freedom here to respond and worship that I wish the churches in the states could worship with. When you go home, worship freely and unrestricted. Be an example of the freedom I have given you.
  • The gospel is simple, don’t complicate it.
  • Learning to live with little is a gift.

One thing most notable about this service in comparison with the other Nicaraguan churches I have been to, is the way in which Nicaraguans are FREE in their worship. They feel free to wave their hands, to dance, to move out of their seats, and to sing loud in praise.  This may be a theory but I think this may be because they aren’t required to sit still in class either.  Being a teacher in Nicaragua, I was so shocked to see how it isn’t required for students to always sit when the teacher is talking.  Even though there are negatives to this, I see how it has given them a sense of freedom in the things they do including worship. By contrast, we in America are taught and expected to sit, be still, and to be quiet. In a like manner, it seems that these expectations have carried into our style of worship. Feeling more restricted and less freeing.  Again, this is only my hypothesis. This reminded me of Psalm 100:1-2.
Pastor is on the right and translator is on the left. We came to the church with the mission team from the church from Oklahoma. Notice the stray dog laying at the pastor's feet. 

Congregation responding after the service and after the mission team shared their testimonies.

A picture with one of the most thankful ladies I met, Ms. Francela. 

In addition I would like to mention Miss Francela who I met at Iglesia Pan de Vida.

Francela was the most joyous Nicaraguan lady I have met so far. She was the very first lady from Pan de Vida that greeted me.  I sat next to her during the service and began speaking with her in Spanish. She could not read or write and her children neither had a way to learn. I couldn't imagine not even being able to read my own Bible. She however had the glory of the Lord always on her lips. Praise to God continued to show even amongst her circumstances. Francela was joyful with nothing and expressive in her worship. Content in being filled by the Holy Spirit and eager to share this good news with all around her.  

No comments:

Post a Comment